Saturday 24 May 2008

Ben Affleck - Affleck Jets Off To The Sudan To Gain More Knowledge

BEN AFFLECK was so worried his views on the crisis in the Sudan would not be enough to spark change in the region he jetted off to Africa to get a closer look.

The movie star has just returned from a fact-finding trip to the Sudan after adopting the refugee problem and ongoing war in the area as a new cause.

United Nations officials advised Affleck to scrap his plans to fly to the war zone, telling him he would be putting his life at risk.

Speaking about his decision to follow in the footsteps of stars like George Clooney and Don Cheadle, the Daredevil star has told CNN, "I got really interested in southern Sudan for a number of reasons. I think it's a fascinating place going through some really hard times.

"I wanted to really feel like I understood the place and learn as much as I could about it, before I got into trying to be an advocate and kind of running my mouth about it.

"I got into doing some learning, talking to experts, travelling there."

Unshaved and tired, Affleck told CNN he has been left scarred by what he witnessed on his trip: "It was terrible. I've never seen anything like it."




See Also